European Patent Practice -The Good, The Bad and The Ugly!
Date: November 16, 2016 (Wednesday)
Time: Noon – 1:30 p.m. EST
Presenters: Pia Bjork, European Patent Office (EPO)
Joanna Thurston, Withers & Rogers LLP
Who Should Attend
This is an intermediate seminar for non-European knowledge transfer practitioners who have an interest in how they can improve their experience of prosecution before the European Patent Office through a greater understanding. Alternatively, for European practitioners this subject matter could be of interest to anyone who is newly practicing in this field.
The course will cover the "quirks" of European patent practice, and how it fits into the global picture through discussion between a senior member of a European Patent Office Examination Division and a partner in a leading UK patent firm. The speakers will discuss patentability requirements, common formal issues and the provisions for third parties and will include both current practice and changes expected in the near future.
Attendees Will Learn...
- A pre-filing practice which allows the preparation of patent applications which are more robust to European patent prosecution
- The differences between European and, in particular, US patent practice
- The methods available to take a European application to grant quickly
- The key considerations in European practice, including the problem-solution approach to inventive step, clarity, added subject matter, common formalities objections and provisions for third party monitoring and interference with patent applications
- Upcoming changes in practice, in particular the Unitary Patent
- Drafting a specification with Europe in mind
- Post-filing research, and supplementary data
AUTM Member $150
AUTM Online Professional Development Programs Are...
- IDEAL FOR MULTIPLE ATTENDEES – use a speakerphone and computer projector, and invite your colleagues to join you.
- FAST – get to the heart of an issue in 1.5 hours.
- CONVENIENT – no travel or time out of the office. Participate from the comfort and convenience of your desk.
- EASY – a computer and telephone are all you need. Dial in, enter your access code, go to the website and you’re in..
Did You Know…
AUTM offers recorded versions of our distance education programs? The recording of this webinar will be available online and free to all registrants within 30 days of the live event.
If you have questions about AUTM's Online Professional Development Programs contact Melinda Briggs at email@example.com or +1-847-686-2374.
For customer service or membership questions, please contact Marti Buckely at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1-847-686-2244.