The Walls are Closing In - The Bleak Future of Claims Reciting Natural Correlations and Products of Nature
Date: October 17, 2017 (Tuesday)
Time: Noon – 1:30 p.m. EST
Dr. Warren Woessner, Schwegman Lundberg & Woessner
Dr. Leslie Fischer, Novartis
Dr. Hans Sauer, BIO
Who should attend:
Technology transfer professionals managing life science technologies.
Course description: Post-Ariosa, the district courts and the Federal Circuit have increasingly used this decision to justify application of the Mayo/Alice rule to deny the patentability of claims directed to diagnostic methods and products of nature. Apart from the CellzDirect decision, which was characterized as a new method of making freeze/thaw resistant cells, the Court has been resistant to allowing diagnostic claims that arise from the discovery of a naturally occurring correlations. In Meriel, and in Cleveland Clinic, the diagnostic conclusions were dismissed as being no more than natural phenomenon, detected and evaluated using “routine steps”. The court has reiterated that the “inventive concept” required by the Mayo/Alice Rule cannot be provided by recognition of the importance of a natural correlation, even while recognizing that the rule renders many important advances in diagnostic medicine patent-ineligible. At least one district court has held that claims to unit dosage forms of naturally occurring compounds, such as vitamins, are patent-ineligible attempts to claim natural products. While the Patent Office continues to allow method of treatment claims, it may not be long before the Federal Circuit takes another look at Myriad and bans these claims as well.
Registration Now Open
Attendees Will Learn...
- The current state, and possible future, of patenting inventions reciting "natual laws"
- Recent case law and proposals to legislatively amend section 101 of the patent statute
AUTM Member $150.00
AUTM Online Professional Development Programs Are...
- IDEAL FOR MULTIPLE ATTENDEES – use a speakerphone and computer projector, and invite your colleagues to join you.
- FAST – get to the heart of an issue in 1.5 hours.
- CONVENIENT – no travel or time out of the office. Participate from the comfort and convenience of your desk.
- EASY – a computer and telephone are all you need. Dial in, enter your access code, go to the website and you’re in..
Did You Know…
AUTM offers recorded versions of our distance education programs? The recording of this webinar will be available online and free to all registrants within 30 days of the live event.
If you have questions about AUTM's Online Professional Development Programs contact Holly Lundgren at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1-847-686-2347
For customer service or membership questions, please contact Marti Buckely at email@example.com or +1-847-686-2244.